Two-day live-online class/5 hours each day
(8am-1pm PT/11am-4pm ET/5pm-10pm CET)
The price is $789 per student, which includes certification, application coaching and 60-day use of the BPMN tool.
Contact shelleysweet@i4process to indicate interest.
- Do you have new technology that you need to integrate with the business and see the best return?
- Have you been asked by the business to improve some functionality, but you know that you achieve more ROI if you looked at the process overall?
- Do you want to automate but recognize if you don’t look more deeply at the process you could just pave the cow path?
- With growth, globalization and new technology do you need to do things more consistently and you are not sure how to get there?
Are you thinking about a BPM or process improvement project but not sure how to get started? Business needs must be clarified, resourced and sponsored to be successful. This live-online course shows you how to make your project a success. Learn how to choose the right process, gain the necessary executive sponsorship, and select the right resources for your project team. We’ll show you how to create a high level map and then a more detailed swim lane as-is model using BPMN, the process diagraming standard. You need all these critical elements to get off to a good start.
Ideas and Involvement
Bring your own process to the workshop, and I will give you individual consulting. This workshop looks at how your process aligns with the company goals and what its current performance is. We build a charter using the necessary charter elements. I show you how to elicit these necessary elements and then iterate them with an executive sponsor and process owner.
You select the needed BPM team, including the right leadership, subject matter expertise, analytics person, and technical capability. You apply all these techniques to a case and your own application so you create usable results right in the workshop. This training method is called Action Learning. You learn the skill, try it in a case or exercise, and then apply it to your own process.
Implementation and Impact
Without a charter, committed active leadership, and the right stakeholder team, BPM projects take longer and produce more limited results. The right people and a structured method produce actionable results that get implemented. Buy-in happens as part of the process, not later through strong–arming and authoritative directives . If you begin your project on the wrong foot or with one hand tied behind your back, you will struggle. This workshop provides learning aids and quick start tools to set the right foundation, methodology, focus, and resources for a successful project.
Choose the right process to start on
- Determine which processes align best with your strategy
- Use a technique to identify which processes provide the most value for your organization
- Utilize a roadmap that guarantees success
Develop a charter which sets goals, measures, and scope
- Identify 8 critical elements for the charter
- Build quantifiable improvement targets that will focus the team
- Create measures with meaning
- Develop first and second level baseline measure
- Figure out how to get quantitative data for these measures
- See the value of goal metrics
Scope the project
- List key challenges
- Create a high-level map that manages the project
Select the resource team
- Choose the right roles for the team
- Name the right players
- Apply team roles and responsibilities
Facilitate the initial meetings with the sponsor and project lead
- Get their commitment and agreement to role and support
- Determine times when their intervention is necessary
- Use a structured method to create an effective charter in 90 minutes or less
- Follow a structured process to create and document a high level map
Evaluate 4 methods to document the As-Is model and 5 methods to gather information for the As-Is model
- Choose the best methods for you
- See how methods can be combined and the benefits of a combo approach
Use BPMN, the process diagramming standard
- Turn the high level map in the charter into a BPMN model using Level 1 symbols and standards
- Model a current state flow in a swimlane diagram using Level 1 BPMN
- Use the swimlane diagram to find initial issues, challenges, inconsistencies, and needed data
- Record the initial ideas using the i4Lists and link them to the BPMN model
Facilitate effective modeling work sessions
- Follow a structured outline that simplifies process diagrams while eliciting the critical information, steps and decisions
- Learn a straight forward method to build process diagrams with cross functional teams in 90 minutes or less
- Recognize and use key phrases as a BPM facilitator
- Identify comments from team that need to be captured on i4 Lists as you do the current state swim lane model
- Understand the 3 elements needed for certification, time frame, and what they entail
- Participation in class
- Online multiple choice test
- Work application using charter and BPMN current state models
How this Live-online Session Works
The course is conducted via a web browser using the e-learning platform from Adobe Connect, which supports online presentations with 2-way interactions with other students, work in teams in breakout rooms, and personal coaching from me. 15 hands-on exercises are based on a case and your own application. The media allows a high level of interaction between the instructor and the student as well as among students.
This Live-online Workshop includes
- Frequent interaction around content and BPM models
- Individualized coaching on your own process
- Learning aids and quick start tools for immediate use
- Small group coaching sessions (optional) after the workshop for your process
- BPMessentials certification
Certification builds your professional capability and credibility in your organization. It establishes your skills and competencies in starting and organizing a BPM project – knowing where to start, who needs to be involved at different levels, how to build the contract (charter) to get the focus and results you want, and how to model the current process at two levels using the recognized standard BPM notation. Certification is part of the BPMessentials training curriculum. BPMessentials certification is recognition that you have mastered the material. Currently over 500 certified participants are registered on the BPMessentials site.
Following the class you will have 60 days to complete the certification requirements, demonstrating mastery of the material. Certification involves full participation in the workshop, passing an online exam, and completing and assignment provided by me based on real work in your organization.
Free Use of itp-commerce Process Modeler tool
The training includes hands-on experience using Process Modeler for Visio from itp commerce. A 60-day license to the tool is included with the training, and students may upgrade to a permanent license at a substantial discount if purchased through BPMessentials.
An add-in to Microsoft Visio, the de facto standard for process modeling, Process Modeler for Visio stands out by its
- support for the BPMN 2.0 palette and XML,
- import of externally defined processes, and - most important and
- for BPMessentials - built-in Method and Style validation.